“Born digital” open access books from Utah State University Press
Partial folklore collection in the Hathi Trust Digital Library.
When to look for books in Open Folklore:
- 01 Primary materials (for example, collections of folktales and legends like Grimm's Household Tales (1910)
- 02 Analytical studies (for example, The Anguish of Snails: Native American Folklore in the West, by Barre Toelken)
- 03 Reference tools, catalogs, and indexes (for example, the Motif-Index of Folk Literature)
We provide “open” copyrighted books online so anyone can read them
Use Open Folklore search when:
Tutorial on how to use the Open Folklore website to discover and access Open Access folklore booksComing Up Soon
If you publish, or have published, folklore studies books, and would like help to make it freely available online, we would love to work with you. Contact usContact Us
Please send us recommendations of new books that are already open access or that should be open access.
How to read books online
- 01 Use the Open Folklore Search tool to find open-access books
- 02 Read public domain works from Hathi Trust Digital Library, Internet Archive, or Google Books
- 03 Access Folklore Studies Books from Utah State University Press
- 04 Access Folklore Studies Books in Google Books
- 05 Search the IU Folklore Collection in the Hathi Trust Digital Library
- 06 Search the IU Folklore Collection via the Indiana University Library catalog. Where available the catalog will link to digital copies that you can read, preview, or search.